Maryland Port Authority Concrete Supply
Machado Concrete Ready-Mix is called upon to deliver mixes of all types to meet the unique needs of a project or the environment in which the project is being completed. From large commercial job sites to municipalities and institutions, we have extensive experience providing unique mixes. Our municipal experience includes work with:
- Maryland State approved concrete supply
- Maryland Aviation Administration approved concrete supply
- Baltimore City approved concrete supply
- Maryland Port Authority approved concrete supply
For our work with the Maryland Port Authority, we’re often called upon to supply self-consolidating concrete or mixes that include corrosion inhibitor.
- Mixes with Corrosion Inhibitor – Corrosion inhibitor can be added during the batching process to inhibit corrosion from chlorides on embedded reinforcing steel. For Maryland Port Authority projects, this is particularly important in protecting against corrosion from the marine environment.
- Self-consolidating concrete – Self-consolidating concrete (SCC), also called self-compacting concrete is highly flowable. It can be spread into formwork and level itself out without the need for manual consolidation. For Maryland Port Authority projects, this allows installation in challenging locations, which are common in ports and along waterfronts.
During a recent concrete slab construction project at the Dundalk Marine Terminal, we were called upon to supply and install 1525 Cubic Yards of 8″ 5000 PSI concrete topping slab including admixtures such as corrosion inhibitor and high range water reducer. The use of high range water reducer allowed up to an 8” slump and the use of a 43-meter boom pump for placement. Installation took place at a rate of 50 cy per hour and the project was completed within 6 weeks with 6 pour dates. The surface was finished with the use of a power vibratory screed, bull float, and power trowel, and all Concrete was wet cured using burlap and soaker hoses for a period of 7 days.
How to Order Maryland Port Authority Approved Concrete
We supply ready mix concrete by the cubic yard, the equivalent of 27 cubic feet. Each cubic yard is enough to fill an area 3 feet wide by 3 feet long by 3 feet deep.
To determine how much concrete is needed, begin by determining the surface area – length times width:
24 feet wide x 18 feet long = Surface area of 432 feet
Multiply your surface area by the depth of the pour in feet:
Surface area of 432 feet x depth of .333 feet (4 inches) = Volume of 143.86 cubic feet
Finally, divide the volume in cubic feet by 27 to get your volume in cubic feet:
143.86 cubic feet ÷ 27 = 5.33 cubic yards
Machado Construction Company, Inc. is Certified in Maryland and Baltimore City as a Minority Business Enterprise (MBE).